Monday, August 04, 2008

The Day The Earth Stood Still (Movie - 1951)

I've always wanted to see this movie because it's a classic sci-fi. When I went to see The Dark Knight I saw a preview for a remake of this movie so I thought it was time I finally see the original.

It was entertaining, but if I am to be honest, it was mostly only entertaining because it was a classic. Given what technology they had back in 51, the "special FX" were pretty good (if you call it that). But the story itself was quite thin. Basically a guy comes from another planet to warn Earth and.... oh wait, THAT'S THE WHOLE MOVIE!

The novelty factor was high; the nostalgic factor was high; the story? It left a bit to be desired. I am definitely more excited about the new upcoming version. Click here to see the preview of the new movie.

My Rating: 2/5
My Recommendation: If you're into the nostalgic, black and white movie, classic sci-fi thing, it's a must see. Otherwise, while it was entertaining, I'd say skip it.

1 comment:

darthchicken said...

This movie has to be one of my favorite science fictions. It's so much more than just a guy who has a message, end of story. It really was a message to the audience about the state of the world at the time. The movie was made 6 years after the atomic bomb was dropped in Japan, and the world was just starting to recover from a world war. The real purpose of the movie was to communicate the fear people of the world had about our ability to destroy ourselves.

Oh yeah, and it had a cool robot.