Saturday, July 19, 2008

Batman: The Dark Knight (Movie)

I just came from seeing the Dark Knight and I wanted to write while the movie is fresh on my mind. There is a VERY MILD spoiler in the last "con" listed in this review, but everything else is spoiler-free so read with confidence.

First of all. AMAZING. This flick was more than a regular popcorn flick. It lived up to the expectations and overly entertained. It was action packed, full of story, full of twists and turns, and most of all, Heath Leger's performance was PHENOMENAL! It's sad that he's not with us anymore, but he's not getting a sympathy vote from me. He sincerely deserves every acting award in the book for his performance in TDK. See the move for yourself and you'll know what I mean.

Pros:
  • Awesome action scenes
  • Great story line
  • Excellent acting for everyone
  • Heath Leger's fantastic performance
Cons:
  • I found it quite predictable. While entertaining, I seemed to know what was going to happen or what was happening before the director wanted us to know. I kept turning to Megan and explaining my theories, only to find them true. There were so many twists and turns in the plot and yet I seemed to see them all coming. This, however, seems to often be the case with me as I know story-telling and I know how movies often work. So I think this is more of a con for me and that most people wouldn't have this issue.
  • The first 20-30 mintues of the movie felt quite slow to me. At first I was thinking "what's all the hype about?" But then it did pick up and the rest was amazing.
  • I didn't feel that Two-face had any motive for what he did. I don't want to say much more than that, but it just felt weird for him to suddenly go two-face on us. It felt contrived and out of place for Harvey Dent's character in this telling of the mythos.
All in all, a FANTASTIC movie and HIGHLY worth the price in the movie theater.

My Rating: 5 out of 5
My Recommendation: Do NOT wait to Red Box or Buy this movie. Go see it in the theater and get the full experience.


Here is a silly/funny NON-SPOILER video clip of how I felt about Heath Leger's performance (be sure to pause the jukebox in the sidebar first):

1 comment:

chipandsalsa said...

Nice Jay. I will see it next week when it is in theaters here. I am way stoked to see it! I have heard from several different reviews that Heath Ledger was amazing in his role as the Joker. I am ready to see it for myself.