Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hairspray (Movie)


I heard this movie was good but it was never on the top of my priority list as the title seemed to scream "chick flick." (You'll notice I rarely if ever review a chick flick, because I'm not the biggest fan and therefore don't watch them that often).

In Henderson, at the District, they show free outdoor movies every Friday and Saturday night. With a big grass area for picnic blankets and misters to dampen the dry Las Vegas air, they set up a large projection screen and give out free popcorn. It's awesome.

Last night we went and saw Hairspray at this outdoor theater: It. Was. Fantastic! Aside from the AMAZING music the movie was HIGHLY entertaining. I found my self smiling from ear to ear and laughing throughout the whole movie. Some moments almost brought me to tears and others had me rolling with laughter, but the whole movie gave me goosebumps.

The choreography was excellent, the vocal tallent was awesome and the acting was top notch. I knew John Travolta played a woman because everyone talked about it. But what I didn't know was the Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, James Marsden, and Zac Efron were also in this movie. WOW! There was some AWESOME talent in this film.

Michelle Pfeiffer:
Such a good performance playing (in my opinion) a very different type of character for her that I didn't ever know it was her until I started writing this blog and looked up the cast.

Christopher Walken:
Awesome. I love this guy in every movie he's in but he really cracked me up in this movie. He actually had my favorite line in the movie: "This heart only beats for size 60" (in the context of the film it was really funny).

James Marsden: WOW! Who knew Cyclops could sing??? Honestly I give this guy serious props for his performance. I truly think he found his calling in this movie. I honestly felt that he was better suited for the quirky, silly, up-beat character in Hairspray than he was for Richard White in Superman or Cyclops in X-Men.

Zac Efron: What can you say about this guy? He exudes talent. His role in this movie wasn't all that different from Troy in High School Musical but they dressed him up different and gave him a great 60s haircut and I honestly forgot about his Troy Bolton character. He did an awesome job and I think he's got a future ahead of him.

My Rating:
5/5
My Recommendation: SEE IT. Go rent it. It's a GREAT family movie and totally worth your time.

No comments: