Monday, January 19, 2009

The Good Guy (book)

I have now read 38 Dean Koontz novels. Needless to say he's my favorite author. That either means that I'm a bit biased when it comes to reviewing his work or it means that I can afford to be a little more nit-picky and critical since I've read so much of what he's written... or a little of both.

The Good Guy caught me from the beginning. I'd say only about 70% of his books have done that. This book was fast paced, energetic, and fun the entire way through.

I can't say it was the deepest story he's ever written. Some guy is mistaken for a hitman. They pay him to kill someone, but he's not the killer. So he devotes himself to finding the target and then protecting her. The real killer gets wind of this, and hunts them down. It's gripping.

I did find the ending a bit anti-climactic and quick. And then the final explanation of what was actually going on was a bit over the top and, in my opinion, completely unnecessary in comparison to the rest of the book.

If you've never read Koontz, then this might be a good one to start with, though I could give you a list of other favorites as well.

When this book first came out, the publishers did a YouTube contest in which they released the first chapter of the book and had Koontz fans create a video trailer for the book. They gave $5000 to the winner. Here is the winning video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfOv-4LhyJk

My Rating: 3.9/5 (honestly, 3 chapters before the end I would have given this book a 4.5/5, but the ending just really left a sour taste in my mouth, so even 4/5 sounds generous at this point. But don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed this book)
My Recommendation: Buy it. Read it.

No comments: