Monday, January 19, 2009

The Goonies (movie)


Okay, I'm sure everyone that ever reads this post will say something like "yeah, I used to love that movie when I was a kid." Well look again, you just might still love it.

During finals at school this last week we had extra long testing periods and a lot of time to do nothing when the tests were over. So I got a pile of movies from another teacher and I let my kids choose what they'd want to watch. They almost unanimously chose the Goonies. I put it on thinking I'd head into my office to get some work done. Nope. I was rivited from the first scene.

Though I had seen this movie hundreds of times as a kid, re-watching it for the first time in probably 10 years was a fantastic experience. The movie is STILL as good as it ever was, if not BETTER. It's filled with adventure, suspense, reality and fun. Who doesn't love a treasure hunt? Chases? Booby-traps?

One thing that really stood out to me is the fantastic character development. Each kid had a very distinct character and personality. I loved chunk as a kid, but WOW, that kid is SO FUNNY!

I was thinking as I watched, this movie is 24 years old. You'd think they'd do a remake of such a successful and beloved movie by now in this age of remakes. But then as I watched more and more, I realized that no remake could EVER top this movie. The filming, the acting, the script, it's all perfect in every way. Even today's generation loves this movie. I've shown a lot of movies to my kids in the past but NO movie has EVER come close to holding their attention like this one did.

In spite of how many times you may have seen this movie in the past, go watch it again. I think you'll thank me.
My Rating: 5/5
My Recommendation: DUH! Buy this movie!

1 comment:

darthchicken said...

Look who was involved in making this movie too.

Richard Donner, Steven Spiegberg, Chris Colombus, Sean Astin, Josh Brolin, Corey Feldmen, Robert Davi (you'd know him if you saw him), and Joe Pantoliano