Thursday, January 01, 2009

The Spirit (Movie)

The previews looked amazing. The cast is unbeatable. It's based on a comic book from the 1940s. Doesn't this sound like the best film ever created? Okay, well maybe I'm stretching it out a little, but the point is, this movie looked like a no-fail awesome movie.

I was sorely dissapointed. Don't get me wrong, the cast did a great job, and it was in fact very... comic-booky. But that was it. The story was shallow at best. The script was beyond HORRIBLE. It was cheesy and silly throughout. I understand that it is based on a comic book and the director was trying to keep that image. But it was a bad idea. Adults don't want to go to a movie and watch something cheesy. They don't want to see something that views like a comic book.

I don't know much what else to say. The silly b-movie style jokes made my eyes roll every 5 minutes. That said, this film could have easily been saved. If they had gotten rid of the enormously silly side kicks and ALL of the jokes, I think this film might have been okay. But for my money.... I want it back.

My Rating: 1.8/5 (for some great visual work)
My Recommendaiton: SKIP it!

No comments: